spintel

Discuss ISP's, reviews, recommendations, speed tests & more.
tumdog
n00b

spintel

Post by tumdog » Tue May 24, 2016 10:24 am

Hi not sure on how to explain?
when i use my laptop to watch videos and stuff it streams perfectly but when i use the media box sometime it takes longer to buffer and the stream sometimes freezes not sure if its my internet or not? i do the internet test and the results are download:2.54mb/s upload:0.57 ping:67ms not sure if thats good or bad?
should i contact my ineternet provider and see if anything can be done or is there something i can do or tips to keep the media box consistently streaming without the need to freeze or buffer every 2min??
Thank you!

admin
Site Admin

Re: spintel

Post by admin » Wed May 25, 2016 1:02 am

Hey! Good question :D

When you use your laptop to watch videos, you are probably referring to YouTube, Facebook & other popular sites. These are billion dollar companies, so their servers are super fast. They probably only require 1mbps to run.

mbps = Mega BITS per second (commonly mistaken for Mega BYTES).

Your internet download speed is 2.54mbps, which is equal to 317kb per second (very, very slow). This is why your internet is not capable of keeping up with the streams (causing it to constantly stop and buffer).

Since the streams on the device are from third parties, they will require a bare minimum internet speed of 5mbps to watch smoothly. Usually ADSL2+ is capable of providing these speeds & higher.

I know someone who is with iiNet ADSL2+ Turbo plan and receiving 15mbps

Spintel has been rated less than 1.7 stars out of 5, from over 500 voters:
http://www.productreview.com.au/p/spin.html

The first thing I would do is cancel Spintel, and switch to iiNet Turbo plan (if cable is not available on your area). (DoDo is another company to stay away from).

The second thing I would do is use ethernet (since you have a slow speed, its better to use ethernet) - make sure you disable WiFi in your android device settings, otherwise the box will still use WiFi, even if you plug in the ethernet cable

tumdog
n00b

Re: spintel

Post by tumdog » Wed May 25, 2016 4:15 am

Cool thanks!damit locked in for another 6months hahaha all good thanks!